KairosGroupies

For friends who lived in and who just love Kairos.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Left Coast: Notes from the Field

Saturday 1600 hrs: Darcy and Alli meet me at the airport. They are sunglassed, flip-flopped, smiley. They emit an almost blinding glow. I have been covered in ice for 3 months. I try, unsuccessfully, to remember why I ever left California.
Saturday later: Darcy and Alli demonstrate a remarkable ability to navigate the Stanford Shopping Center with their eyes closed, including ring-polishing stations. However, none of us can figure out 8th grade science. Even those of us who teach it.

Sunday 1000 hrs: Alli channels Billy Blanks, and I realize I can conquer any med school interview, as long as I reach towards a higher power and consider giving my interviewer a left jab.
Sunday 1500 hrs: Darcy asks for directions to the BART station. Worst local ever.

Monday 1320 hrs: I'm talking about Kairos in an interview, again.

Tuesday 1530 hrs: Mike and I talk on the phone for several minutes before realizing we're looking at each other.
Tuesday 1700 hrs: The English Department offers revealing dresses and wedge heeled shoes. Who knew it was so useful?
Tuesday 1730 hrs: True MENSA kids, it takes us more than two hours to answer three puzzles. We get the wrong answers.

Grand total from the weekend:
1 vintage jacket picked out by Darcy
2 Mexican dinners
2 Indian lunches
3 mint brownies made by Mrs. James
1 CD from Ameoba records
5 med school interviews
1 interviewer who tells me we should do the "secret Peace Corps handshake"
4 horses spotted on the streets of Portland
2 beers before tipsilly boarding the redeye home.

Thanks, guys. :)

1 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Michael Copperman said...

And it was grand seeing you, Rica.

You know, you actually got two of them MENSA puzzles right.

I got only one.

We did, I think, four.

Thanks for omitting the part where Mike, the worst person with directions ever, tried haplessly to find his way out of Portland toward the airport, with only your 'Dining Out Portland' map to help. The map had like four street names, spaced at random, to indicate the streets where prominent restaurants were located. It was a miracle we made it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home